Useful Links

Which exports are controlled and therefore require a licence, how to apply and what compliance responsibilities you’ll have.

BExA Guide to Export Compliance

The British Exporters Association (BExA) has posted a free Guide to Export Compliance on its website.  The various chapters cover export control basics, financial compliance, customs compliance, supply chain compliance, and compliance culture in the company.

SPIRE overview

How to register on and use SPIRE, the online system for applying for an export licence for military or dual-use products

How to check if you need a licence to import or export goods, and the most commonly licensed goods for international trade.

Open general licences

Registering for an Open General Licence, information, guidance and advice on licences, which type you need for your goods.

Dual-use open general licences

Pre-published export licences relating to goods and technology that have both civil and military applications.

Dual-use licences: Cryptographic items – BIS / ECO

Cryptographic items subject to export controls are listed in Category 5 Part 2 of the European Union (EU) Dual-Use List.

Military Goods Open General Export Licences

Find out which Open General Export Licence you need for specific controlled military goods.

Other types of open general export licence

Details of open general export licences that don’t fit into other categories, but remove the need to apply for standard individual export licence.

European Union General Export Authorisations (EU GEAs)

European Union General Export Authorisations (EU GEAs) are the European equivalent of the national system of Open General Licences (OGLs) issued under UK export control law and are designed to licence dual-use exports.

Standard Individual Export Licence – BIS

You will need to apply for a SIEL if you need an export licence and you cannot meet all the stated terms and conditions of an Open General Export Licence (OGEL).

Open Individual Export Licence – BIS / ECO

Open Individual Export Licences allow exporters to export multiple shipments of specific goods to specific destinations.

Global Project Licence – BIS / ECO

A Global Project Licence (GPL) can be used when licensing exports of military goods and technologies to framework agreement (FA) partner states.

The UK Strategic Export Control Lists form the basis of determining whether any products, software or technology that you intend to export are ‘controlled’ and therefore require an export licence.

Export Licensing of Man-Portable Air Defence Systems – BIS / ECO

The UK applies strict national strategic export controls on exporting shoulder-launched surface-to-air missiles.

Firearms and export control forms – BIS

The UK – like many other countries – controls the movement (or export) of certain specified items to other countries, including to other EU destinations.

Find out if you need a strategic goods licence to export to the Channel Islands: how goods are listed on the UK Strategic Export Control Lists

If you are a UK company which exports controlled military goods to the United States you will need to comply with US controls, specifically the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)

Exports of dual-use goods controlled by EU Dual-Use Regulation are wide ranging, encompassing goods in the telecoms, avionics and security sectors.

The scope of the Radioactive Sources (Control) Order 2006: which substances are controlled and how to apply for an export licence.

Information on goods controlled under the EU Torture Regulation (including licensing of drugs used in execution by lethal injection).

Why governments put trade controls in place, how they work for exporters, and how traders can apply for a licence.

Notices to Exporters – Arms Embargoes and WMD – BIS / ECO

Read updates issued by the Export Control Organisation including details about imposition of arms embargoes,

Countries currently under Sanctions, embargoes and restrictions

Export of nuclear and related goods

Embargoed Destinations listed in the Export Control Order 2008 (Schedule 4 Parts 1 and 2)

UN embargoed destinations and listed in the Export Control Order 2008 (Schedule 4 Part 3)

Partial EU embargoed destinations and listed in the Export Control Order Order 2008 (Schedule 4 Part 3)

Other countries listed in the Export Control Order 2008 (Schedule 4 Part 3)
These countries are subject to transit controls for military goods:

  • Afghanistan
  • Argentina
  • Burundi
  • Macao Special Administrative Region
  • Rwanda
  • Tanzania
  • Uganda

Countries subject to transit control for Category B Goods (Schedule 4 Part 4)

  • Albania
  • Belarus
  • Benin
  • Bosnia/Herzegovina
  • Burkina Faso
  • Cameroon
  • Cape Verde
  • Central African Republic
  • Chad
  • Colombia
  • Congo (Brazzaville)
  • Dubai
  • East Timor (Timor-Leste)
  • Eritrea
  • Ethiopia
  • Gambia
  • Georgia
  • Ghana
  • Guinea
  • Guinea Bissau
  • Haiti
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
  • Jamaica
  • Kenya
  • Krygyzstan
  • Libya
  • Mali
  • Mauritania
  • Moldova
  • Montenegro
  • Morocco
  • Nepal
  • Niger
  • Nigeria
  • Oman
  • Pakistan
  • Russia
  • Senegal
  • Serbia
  • Sri Lanka
  • Syria
  • Taiwan
  • Tajikistan
  • Togo
  • Trinidad & Tobago
  • Turkmenistan
  • Ukraine
  • Venezuela
  • Yemen

Countries subject to military end-use controls

  • Armenia and Azerbaijan
  • Belarus
  • Burma
  • Democratic Republic of Congo
  • Democratic People’s Republic of Korea
  • Eritrea
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Ivory Coast
  • Lebanon
  • Liberia
  • Libya
  • Republic of Guinea
  • Sierra Leone
  • Somalia
  • South Sudan
  • Sudan
  • Syria
  • Zimbabwe

You need a Trade Control Licence if you transfer controlled (military or dual-use) goods between one overseas country and another.

Transhipment licences

Transhipment licences allow controlled goods to pass through the UK on the way to other destinations: find out when you need one and how to use it.

Members of the UK academic community may need an export licence if they are sharing technical information with colleagues in other countries or dealing with other controlled items.

Export licensing for exporters of controlled technology (ie information used to make controlled goods such as weapons).

UK export controls on technology make specific provision for electronic transfer of military technology.

This guidance provides a brief overview about Crown exemption in respect of the transfers of export controlled military list goods or technology owned by the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD).

Goods in support of UK government defence contracts that require an export licence and use of the Open General Export Licence

The Ministry of Defence Form 680 is used by government to consider the release by companies of equipment or information (including technology or software) classified ‘Official-Sensitive’ or above (including UK material classified ‘Restricted’ or above, graded prior to 2 April 2014, and internationally security classified material) to foreign entities.

This website contains data on export licensing decisions which has historically been published as read only in the quarterly and annual reports.

FCO’s Strategic Export Controls Reports

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office’s Strategic Export Controls Reports demonstrate the Government’s commitment to transparent and responsible…

Export Control Organisation (ECO)

The Export Control Organisation (ECO) issues licences for controlling the export of strategic goods.

SIA interests cover the entire spectrum of licensing issues pertaining to the Department of Commerce, Defense, State and Treasury